Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back Down South and Hitched by Trey


As many of you know, Mel and I finally tied the proverbial knot this past week in the wonderful Newfoundland weather. Compared to Texas, the lack of 100+ heat was certainly welcome, but not altogether unexpected. What was truly a blessing was the incredible sunshine and relatively low winds throughout the wedding week and on the day of the ceremony. When we landed in St. John's and made the three hour drive to Bonavista, I was beginning to have my doubts about the wisdom of planning an outdoor wedding in a land so renown for unpredictable and inhospitable weather. Low and behold...blue skies and warm sunshine for 11 of the 14 days that we spent on The Rock!


In addition to the beautiful weather, the scenery was breathtaking! By the way, I realize that many of you are intimately familiar with the majesty of Newfoundland in a way that I can only imagine. Considering that I'm new to The Rock, you'll have to bear with me!





Sparing the details, ALL of the festivities from the rehersal to the reception went off with the only hitch being between the Newfie lass and the boy from Dixie. Enough of the bad puns from me. Seriously, thanks to all of you who were able to make it, especially those who travelled far and wide to enjoy this great experience with us...it means more than I can write in a ridiculous blog. And a sincere thanks to everybody who made the trip possible through time, gifts, and prayers. On a purely personal note, I thank the Ricketts and White families for their warm welcome of the American invaders. You all have a great family and we are all honored to become a part of it. Even got Screeched in to make it official!


As for future plans...I think that we need to find a house up that way and spend the summers in Newfoundland. It looks like I'm going to be in the Air Force for the next several years, whether I want to be or not! Once clear of my military committment and free to move where we please, I'd love to live part of the year on The Rock and the remainder around family in the Deep South. We'll see how that works out. Maybe I can fly bush planes for an outfit up that way in the summer and fall and teach fighter pilots the rest of the year. One can always dream!

1 comment:

I'm Erin. said...

Yea, a new blog for me to read! I'll have to go back tomorrow and catch up...it's late and my alarm (aka Derek) goes off early each morning.
Congrats on your wedding!